Why would anyone read something they aren’t sure they’ll enjoy? Are there reasons?
Actually, yes there are reasons to read outside your comfort zone and the reasons are too numerous to mention them all in this post. But here are a few:
- You might find that you enjoy this different type of story and look for more like it for future reads.
- You might be challenged, emotionally or intellectually. Stretching mental and emotional muscles is good for mental and emotional growth.
- You might learn something that otherwise you’d never know. This is true for both fiction and non-fiction because both can and often do involve facts, truths, and broader concepts than you come across on a daily basis.
- You may find that you now have something in common with strangers that you might not have if you’d not learned something new or unusual or gone in a new direction.
- You may find you’re not as boring as you were before reading outside of your comfort zone.