Writing is the easy part, getting published is waaaaay more difficult! But there are some steps to follow that will get you there.
1. But there are books and blogs and articles out there telling you what to do. I’m not sure how helpful they are but they are a good place to start. Read them.
2. Then, after reading them and internalizing whatever they have to say, you look at your own work again and think how best to get YOUR work published, which is quite different from the generic advice those books, etc, provide.
3. If you write for the Christian audience, look at Christian publishers and websites. If you write horror, type ‘horror’ into a search engine and see what comes up. And so on for your own kind of writing until you get a feel for what the literary scene is like for what YOU write, as opposed to what other authors write.
4. Then you do whatever looks right for your particular niche of the writing world. There are hundreds — maybe thousands — of e-publishers out there. If they don’t sell a whole lot of books, they do give you creds when you are pushing your own work somewhere else because someone, somewhere, liked your work enough to take it on as their own publishing project.
5. If that doesn’t work, self-publish. It’s free, easy and also gives you the right to call yourself a published author.
The only ‘don’t’ in this scenario is not to expect huge financial rewards. You might hit it big. It’s a whole lot more likely that you’ll sell — or give away — a few copies. But either way, it’ll be a start and where you go from that start will be up to you.